4 Key Steps to Consider For Renovations In Victoria BC
We live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Our landscape is uniquely Victoria, from areas of rocky terrain, marshlands, and a breath taking coast line; all in a 20km radius. As a homeowner considering a renovation, it is important to protect your investment and at Villamar that is how we approach every build we undertake. Here are some key steps to help you begin the renovation process.
Step 1: Before you Start… Check your Home:
One of the areas that you may not consider in budgeting your renovation is checking for hazardous material like; asbestos, lead and mold. If undetected early on, this may increase your budget considerably.
- Villamar Construction has teamed up with some of the best remediation companies in Victoria BC. Together we are equipped to inform you of the most cost effective way to begin your renovation, safely.
Step 2: Choosing a General Contractor:
When interviewing and looking for a good contractor, it is important to consider these important points;
- Ensure that licencing and insurance is in place.
- Look at their previous work and recommendations.
- Ask about what safety training the company has in place?
- Meet with the contractors and look them in the eye. It’s important that you get along with your contractor. Look at how he/she treats their sub-contractors and the rest of the team. At Villamar, we have chosen team members for their quality of skill and also their quality of character.
Step 3: What is the Cost?
- It is easy just to go with the lowest offer, however this may be more costly in the long-term.
- Does your contractor have a clear itemized written budget? You can’t always plan for the unexpected, but at least you have a clear idea on where you are going.
- Consider the cost in paying someone cash to work on your house. When things go sideways these people can leave you hanging and there is nothing that connects them with the work that they have done. At Villamar, we stand behind our builds and go above and beyond to make it right.
Step 4: Goal!
Whether you’re renovating your family home or an investment; consider what you want as a goal. Villamar believes your goal should be a general contractor who will stand by you and be there through the whole process. You want to get the most value out of your renovation.
- Keep your goal front and center, as you venture into the exciting world of renovating your home.
- In the beginning, utilizing these key steps may seem to take a little more time. However, following these 4 basic principles will save you from lots of surprises and unwanted grief. Hire a contractor who is experienced and has the expertise to get the most value out of your home renovation.